Ar-Rubayyi’ bint Mu’awwidh ibn Afra’ al-Ansariyyah, from the
Banu Najjar clan of the Khazraj tribe. Her father was the companion Mu’awwidh
ibn al-Harith, who participated in the killing of Abu Jahl at the Battle of
Badr and was martyred in the same battle. Her mother was Umm Yazid bint Qays
ibn Za’ura’ ibn Haram ibn al-Najjar. She married Iyas ibn al-Bukayr al-Laythi
and bore him Muhammad. Her sister was the female companion ‘Amirah bint
Mu’awwidh.
Ar-Rubayyi’ embraced Islam and participated in some of the
battles with the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). It was
narrated from her that she said, “We used to go on expeditions with the
Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him): we would provide water
for the people and serve them, and we would return the dead and wounded to
Medina.” (Source: Sahih al-Bukhari; the hadith scholar (al-Bukhari) graded it as
authentic).
Ar-Rubayyi’ bint Mu’awwidh was a narrator of hadith. It was
narrated from her by Khalid ibn Dhakwan that she said, “The Messenger of Allah
(peace and blessings be upon him) came and entered upon me on the morning of my
wedding. He sat on my bed as you are sitting now. Some of our young girls began
playing their tambourines and lamenting those of my fathers who were killed at
the Battle of Badr, until one of them said, “And among us is a Prophet…” He
knows what tomorrow holds. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon
him) said, “Leave this aside and say what you were saying.” [Source: Sahih Ibn
Hibban; Summary of the Hadith scholar’s ruling (Ibn Hibban): He included it
in his Sahih].
Az-Zubayr narrated, on the authority of his uncle Mus’ab, on
the authority of al-Waqidi, who said, “Asma’ bint Makhrama used to sell perfume
in Medina.” She was the mother of ‘Ayyash and ‘Abdullah, the sons of Abu Rabi’a
al-Makhzumi. Asma’ entered upon ar-Rabi’ bint Mu’awwidh with her perfume and
some other women. She asked her about her lineage, and ar-Rabi’ bint Mu’awwidh
gave her name. Asma’ said to her, “You are the daughter of the one who killed
his master”—meaning Abu Jahl. Ar-Rabi’ said, “I replied, ‘Rather, I am the
daughter of the one who killed his slave.’” She said, “It is forbidden for me
to sell you any of my perfume.” I said, "It is forbidden for me to buy
anything from her, for I have never found a perfume more foul than yours."
Then I left. I only said that about his perfume to provoke her (Siyar A’lam
al-Nubala’).
Ibn Sa’d narrated that she said, “I had a disagreement with
my cousin, who was also my husband. I said to him, ‘You can have everything I
own and divorce me.’ He said, ‘I have done so.’ She said, ‘By God, he took
everything I owned, even my bed. I went to Uthman, may God be pleased with him,
and told him about it. He was under a siege, and he said, ‘The condition is
binding. Take everything she owns, even her hairpins, if you wish.’”
Al-Rabi' bint Mu'awwadh died during the caliphate of Abd
al-Malik ibn Marwan in the year seventy-something.

تعليقات